THIS TENANCY AGREEMENT (the "Agreement") dated this 11th day of March, 2014
Address: ______________________, ______________, _______________, ____________
OF THE FIRST PART
- AND -
Address: ______________________, ______________, _______________, ____________
OF THE SECOND PART
IN CONSIDERATION OF the Landlord letting certain premises to the Tenant, the Tenant letting those premises from the Landlord and the mutual benefits and obligations provided in this Agreement, the receipt and sufficiency of which consideration is hereby acknowledged, the parties to this Agreement agree as follows:
- The Landlord is the owner of residential property available for rent and is legally entitled to grant this tenancy.
- Let Property
- The Landlord agrees to let to the Tenant the house, municipally described as ______________________, ______________________, _______________, ______________ (the "Property"), for use as residential premises only.
- Neither the Property nor any part of the Property will be used at any time during the term of this Agreement by Tenant for the purpose of carrying on any business, profession, or trade of any kind, or for the purpose other than as a private single-family residence.
- No pets or animals are allowed to be kept in or about the Property without the prior written permission of the Landlord. Upon thirty (30) days notice, the Landlord may revoke any consent previously given pursuant to this clause.
- Subject to the provisions of this Agreement, the Tenant is entitled to the use of parking (the "Parking") on or about the Property. Only properly insured motor vehicles may be parked in the Tenant's space.
- The Property is provided to the Tenant without any furnishings.
- The Tenant agrees and acknowledges that the Property has been designated as a smoke-free living environment. The Tenant and members of Tenant's household will not smoke anywhere on the Property nor permit any guests or visitors to smoke on the Property.
- The term of the tenancy commences at 12:00 noon on 11 March 2014 and ends at 12:00 noon on 11 March 2014.
- Any notice to terminate this tenancy must comply with the Act.
- Should the Tenant remain in possession of the Property with the consent of the Landlord after the natural expiration of this Agreement, a new tenancy from month to month will be created between the Landlord and the Tenant which will be subject to all the terms and conditions of this Agreement but will be terminable upon the Landlord giving the Tenant the notice required under the Act.
- Subject to the provisions of this Agreement, the rent for the Property is £0.00 per month (the "Rent").
- The Tenant will pay the Rent on or before the ____________________ of each and every month of the term of this Agreement to the Landlord at ______________________, ______________, _______________, ____________ or at such other place as the Landlord may later designate.
- Quiet Enjoyment
- The Landlord covenants that on paying the Rent and performing the covenants contained in this Agreement, the Tenant will peacefully and quietly have, hold, and enjoy the Property for the agreed term.
- Signing Incentives
- The Landlord will give, make or perform the following signing incentives: _____________________________________________________________________
- Tenant Improvements
- The Tenant will obtain written permission from the Landlord before doing any of the following:
- applying adhesive materials, or inserting nails or hooks in walls or ceilings other than two small picture hooks per wall;
- painting, wallpapering, redecorating or in any way significantly altering the appearance of the Property;
- removing or adding walls, or performing any structural alterations;
- installing a waterbed(s);
- changing the amount of heat or power normally used on the Property as well as installing additional electrical wiring or heating units;
- placing or exposing or allowing to be placed or exposed anywhere inside or outside the Property any placard, notice or sign for advertising or any other purpose; or
- affixing to or erecting upon or near the Property any radio or TV antenna or tower.
- The Tenant is hereby advised and understands that the personal property of the Tenant is not insured by the Landlord for either damage or loss, and the Landlord assumes no liability for any such loss. The Tenant is advised that, if insurance coverage is desired by the Tenant, the Tenant should inquire of Tenant's insurance agent regarding a renter's policy of insurance.
- The Tenant will inform the Landlord if the Tenant is to be absent from the Property for any reason for a period of more than fourteen days. The Tenant agrees to take such measures to secure the Property prior to such absence as the Landlord may reasonably require and take appropriate measures to prevent frost or flood damage.
- If at any time during the term of this Agreement, the Tenant abandons the Property or any part of the Property, the Landlord may, at its option, enter the Property by any means without being liable for any prosecution for such entering, and without becoming liable to the Tenant for damages or for any payment of any kind whatever, and may, at the Landlord's discretion, as agent for the Tenant, let the Property, or any part of the Property, for the whole or any part of the then unexpired term, and may receive and collect all rent payable by virtue of such letting, and, at the Landlord's option, hold the Tenant liable for any difference between the Rent that would have been payable under this Agreement during the balance of the unexpired term, if this Agreement had continued in force, and the net rent for such period realised by the Landlord by means of the letting. If the Landlord's right of re-entry is exercised following abandonment of the premises by the Tenant, then the Landlord may consider any personal property belonging to the Tenant and left on the Property to also have been abandoned, in which case the Landlord may dispose of all such personal property in any manner the Landlord will deem proper and is relieved of all liability for doing so.
- Governing Law
- This Agreement will be construed in accordance with and governed by the laws of and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts.
- If there is a conflict between any provision of this Agreement and the Act, the Act will prevail and such provisions of the Agreement will be amended or deleted as necessary in order to comply with the Act. Further, any provisions that are required by the Act are incorporated into this Agreement.
- In the event that any of the provisions of this Agreement will be held to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part, those provisions to the extent enforceable and all other provisions will nevertheless continue to be valid and enforceable as though the invalid or unenforceable parts had not been included in this Agreement and the remaining provisions had been executed by both parties subsequent to the expungement of the invalid provision.
- Amendment of Agreement
- Any amendment or modification of this Agreement or additional obligation assumed by either party in connection with this Agreement will only be binding if evidenced in writing signed by each party or an authorised representative of each party.
- Assignment and Subletting
- The Tenant will not assign this Agreement, or sublet or grant any concession or licence to use the Property or any part of the Property. Any assignment, subletting, concession, or licence, whether by operation of law or otherwise, will be void and will, at Landlord's option, terminate this Agreement.
- Damage to Property
- If the Property, or any part of the Property, will be partially damaged by fire or other casualty not due to the Tenant's negligence or willful act or that of the Tenant's employee, family, agent, or visitor, the Property will be promptly repaired by the Landlord and there will be an abatement of rent corresponding with the time during which, and the extent to which, the Property may have been untenantable. However, if the Property should be damaged other than by the Tenant's negligence or willful act or that of the Tenant's employee, family, agent, or visitor and the Landlord decides not to rebuild or repair the Property, the Landlord may end this Agreement by giving appropriate notice.
- Care and Use of Property
- The Tenant will promptly notify the Landlord of any damage, or of any situation that may significantly interfere with the normal use of the Property.
- Vehicles which the Landlord reasonably considers unsightly, noisy, dangerous, improperly insured, inoperable or unlicensed are not permitted in the Tenant's parking stall(s), and such vehicles may be towed away at the Tenant's expense. Parking facilities are provided at the Tenant's own risk. The Tenant is required to park in only the space allotted to them.
- The Tenant will not make (or allow to be made) any noise or nuisance which, in the reasonable opinion of the Landlord, disturbs the comfort or convenience of other tenants.
- The Tenant will not park (or allow to be parked) any caravan, boat or vehicle by the Property, if such parking, in the reasonable opinion of the Landlord, would cause nuisance or annoyance to neighbours or to anyone nearby.
- The Tenant will keep the Property in good repair and condition and in good decorative order.
- The Tenant will dispose of its trash in a timely, tidy, proper and sanitary manner.
- The Tenant or anyone living with the Tenant will not engage in any illegal trade or activity on or about the Property including, but not limited to, using the Property for drug storage, drug dealing, prostitution, illegal gambling or illegal drinking.
- The Landlord and Tenant will comply with standards of health, sanitation, fire, housing and safety as required by law.
- The Tenant agrees that no signs will be placed or painting done on or about the Property by the Tenant or at the Tenant's direction without the prior, express, and written consent of the Landlord. Notwithstanding the above provision, the Tenant may place election signs on the Property during the appropriate time periods.
- If the Tenant is absent from the Property and the Property is unoccupied for a period of four consecutive days or longer, the Tenant will arrange for regular inspection by a competent person. The Landlord will be notified in advance as to the name, address and phone number of this said person.
- At the expiration of the agreement term, the Tenant will quit and surrender the Property in as good a state and condition as they were at the commencement of this Agreement, reasonable use and wear and damages by the elements excepted.
- Hazardous Materials
- The Tenant will not keep or have on the Property any article or thing of a dangerous, flammable, or explosive character that might unreasonably increase the danger of fire on the Property or that might be considered hazardous by any responsible insurance company.
- Rules and Regulations
- The Tenant will obey all rules and regulations posted by the Landlord regarding the use and care of the building, parking lot, laundry room and other common facilities that are provided for the use of the Tenant in and around the building containing the Property.
- Address for Notice
- For any matter relating to this tenancy, the Tenant may be contacted at the Property or through the phone number below. After this tenancy has been terminated, the contact information of the Tenant is:
- Name: _________________________.
- Phone: _________________________.
- Post termination notice address: ______________________, ______________, _______________, ____________.
- For any matter relating to this tenancy, whether during or after this tenancy has been terminated, the Landlord's address for notice is:
- Name: _________________________.
- Address: ______________________, ______________, _______________, ____________.
The contact information for the Landlord is:
- Phone: _________________________.
- The Landlord or the Tenant may, on written notice to each other, change their respective addresses for notice under this Agreement.
- General Provisions
- Any waiver by the Landlord of any failure by the Tenant to perform or observe the provisions of this Agreement will not operate as a waiver of the Landlord's rights under this Agreement in respect of any subsequent defaults, breaches or non-performance and will not defeat or affect in any way the Landlord's rights in respect of any subsequent default or breach.
- This Agreement will extend to and be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the respective heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, as the case may be, of each party to this Agreement. All covenants are to be construed as conditions of this Agreement.
- All sums payable by the Tenant to the Landlord pursuant to any provision of this Agreement will be deemed to be additional rent and will be recovered by the Landlord as rental arrears.
- Where there is more than one Tenant executing this Agreement, all Tenants are jointly and severally liable for each other's acts, omissions and liabilities pursuant to this Agreement.
- Locks may not be added or changed without the prior written agreement of both the Landlord and the Tenant, or unless the changes are made in compliance with the Act.
- Headings are inserted for the convenience of the parties only and are not to be considered when interpreting this Agreement. Words in the singular mean and include the plural and vice versa. Words in the masculine mean and include the feminine and vice versa.
- This Agreement and the Tenant's leasehold interest under this Agreement are and will be subject, subordinate, and inferior to any liens or encumbrances now or hereafter placed on the Property by the Landlord, all advances made under any such liens or encumbrances, the interest payable on any such liens or encumbrances, and any and all renewals or extensions such liens or encumbrances.
- This Agreement may be executed in counterparts. Facsimile signatures are binding and are considered to be original signatures.
- Time is of the essence in this Agreement.
- This Agreement will constitute the entire agreement between the Landlord and the Tenant. Any prior understanding or representation of any kind preceding the date of this Agreement will not be binding on either party except to the extent incorporated in this Agreement.
- The Tenant will indemnify and save the Landlord, and the owner of the Property where different from the Landlord, harmless from all liabilities, fines, suits, claims, demands and actions of any kind or nature for which the Landlord will or may become liable or suffer by reason of any breach, violation or non-performance by the Tenant or by any person for whom the Tenant is responsible, of any covenant, term, or provisions hereof or by reason of any act, neglect or default on the part of the Tenant or other person for whom the Tenant is responsible. Such indemnification in respect of any such breach, violation or non-performance, damage to property, injury or death occurring during the term of the Agreement will survive the termination of the Agreement, notwithstanding anything in this Agreement to the contrary.
- The Tenant agrees that the Landlord will not be liable or responsible in any way for any personal injury or death that may be suffered or sustained by the Tenant or by any person for whom the Tenant is responsible who may be on the Property of the Landlord or for any loss of or damage or injury to any property, including cars and contents thereof belonging to the Tenant or to any other person for whom the Tenant is responsible.
- The Tenant is responsible for any person or persons who are upon the or occupying the Property or any other part of the Landlord's premises at the request of the Tenant, either express or implied, whether for the purposes of visiting the Tenant, making deliveries, repairs or attending upon the Property for any other reason. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Tenant is responsible for all members of the Tenant's family, guests, servants, tradesmen, repairmen, employees, agents, invitees or other similar persons.
- During the last 30 days of this Agreement, the Landlord or the Landlord's agents will have the privilege of displaying the usual 'For Sale' or 'To Let' or 'Vacancy' signs on the Property.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF _________________________, _________________________ have duly affixed their signatures on this 11th day of March, 2014.
The Tenant acknowledges receiving a duplicate copy of this Agreement signed by the Tenant and the Landlord on the _____ day of ____________, _____.